Tonight and the Rest of My Life

by: Seiony

Nightmares again. Always. Half remembered memories and cruel glimpses of what was, or maybe what might have been. What will be. Please…

Down to the earth I fell with dripping wings

Heavy things won't fly

Darkness, and I don't know if I'm awake or still dreaming. The harsh rasp of frightened breathing gives it away, and I become aware of the twisted sheets, the damp pillow.

And the sky might catch on fire

And burn the axis of the world that's why

I prefer a sunless sky

To the glittering and stinging in my eyes

I lie awake, willing my eyes open, but my exhausted body won't be denied. Sleep takes me, and the dream begins to take shape. Far away I feel my body tense against the pain, even though deep down I know it's useless. The desert stretches before me, white heat, the sand almost as bright as the suns. The world is an endless blur of light, and my eyes ache from the onslaught. And then the light changes, and I see her.

Oh I feel so light

This is all I wanna feel tonight

Oh I feel so light

Tonight and the rest of my life

I hear her laughter carried on the air, and my heart beats in time with her music. I reach out for her, aching to touch, to hold, but the light is too bright again and I miss. She laughs, and says my name, and everything is okay. Do you miss me, she asks, and I could almost laugh but for the ache in my throat.

Gleaming in the dark sea

I'm as light as air

Floating there breathlessly

Yes, I say, but for some reason the words don't come out. Every minute of every day I miss you. Silence fills the air. Every thing that I do is for you, every thought that I have is of you. My lips move, but the light is too bright and it gets in the way. And she is fading already, before I can even begin.

When the dream dissolves

I open up my eyes I realize that

Everything is shoreless sea

Weightlessness is passing over me

Wait. Please. Just one more minute. At least let me tell her something, anything. I know I may never see her again so why can't I at least say goodbye?

Oh I feel so light

This is all I wanna feel tonight

Oh I feel so light

Tonight and the rest of my life

Tonight and the rest of my life

Don't go. Please don't go. I find my voice and scream her name, but it's too late and she's already gone. The hot wind of the desert stings, and mocks me with its painful caress.

Everything is waves and stars

The universe is resting in my arms

I feel so light

This is all I wanna feel tonight

I feel so light

Tonight and the rest of my life

The suns fade, the sand fades, and I can hear her voice on the wind. It whispers one word: Vash. On her lips my name sounds like a benediction. I awake in darkness that echoes with her laughter. Rem. The room seems emptier than before, because she is not in it.

Oh I feel so light

This is all I wanna feel tonight

Oh I feel so light

Tonight and the rest of my life

I rub the wetness from my cheeks, knowing even through the pain that I would do it again, willingly, just to see her again. Maybe… The night isn't over yet. I close my eyes again. Oh, please…

Tonight and the rest of my life

send comments to asidian_morris@go.com